Re: Wheelbase & Driver Relationships yet again

To: "Tom Neimeyer" <tjn56@swbell.net>,
Subject: Re: Wheelbase & Driver Relationships yet again
From: "john backus" <34ford@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:35:00 -0000
OK, my only comment is that a fellow racer and friend built one of those
newfangled "rear engined" dragsters. This meant that only the driver was moved
to in front of the engine, the drivetrain stayed the same. He only made a few
passes in it and sold it. Said it scared the hell out of him, he"couldn't tell
which way it was going". I never drove one of those newfangled front driver
types so I can't give any personal data. I can say that from the back I could
see and feel everything that was going on even though parts of the engine were
directly in front of me- I just watched the side/s of the track, 'got
especially tricky at night with the flames from the headers. And Pork-Pie, the
frame was a real flexible 200"wb, this helped keep the front wheels on the
ground some of the time and helped with weight transfer--help me here Joe. It
also helped when you pulled the chute, the frame would flex and make the pan
hit the track to help slow you down. :>)

Just a few observations from an old dragster driver
ps; the pan had a 1/2" skid plate on it
John Backus