Re: Wheelbase & Driver Relationships yet again

To: john backus <34ford@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Wheelbase & Driver Relationships yet again
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:59:18 -0500
Group,

I have built 120, 125 and 135 inch wheelbase funny car chassis'...and
there was no difference felt in the handling. As far as Rear engine
Dragsters, I have loosened up a couple of cars and strenghtened up one
car. My last car, a 240 incher, weighed 1760LBS( light) with me(220#),
and a iron head BB Chevy, was a very good handling car. Never felt
real loose even black marking in the lights...read damp, late at
night. Most loose cars usually did not have enough diagonals and the
front end did not track with the back, at least that was my
determination. Most of the new bread RR cars in drag racing have stiff
chassis' and rear suspension. If I was building a Lakester, I'd build
it stiff and get a 50/50 weight distribution, probably 51 or 52 on the
front and have front and rear suspension.Of course, I'd be racing
Maxton and Bonneville. I really like long cars, the faster, the
longer!  Just my preferance.

As far as driver postion, I have found that the farther one lays down,
the less he can determine how crossed up he is. Early dragsters had
the driver laying down and many crashed. That is why Sprint car
drivers backs are straight up and down as they are sideways and must
be able to tell how far they are hung out.

Yes, John, I had a 1/8 plate on the oil pan...Great skid brakes when needed,
especially when the back tires were bouncing after a run. For those of you who
haven't had the experience, you CAN NOT put the brakes on until the bouncing
stops...Boy, Oh Boy, does the end of the track come up quick when you can't put
the brakes on and you have a fouled chute!!!!!!

Got the stains to prove it! ( Why I can never sell old fire suits)
joe