Re: Wheelbase2

To: "pork.pie" <pork.pie@t-online.de>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheelbase2
From: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:50:41 -0500
Pork Pie

Actually my experience at 240 MPH, in a 120" WB car, is very much the same
as Joe Kugals at 300 MPH in a 101" car. Personally don't think the car being
a hand full has much of anything to do with wheelbase, not that it isn't
possible, and there are other factors like a wet surface, but the big part
in my estimation is the lack of acceleration on the top end. Now I've not
driven a long WB car over 218 MPH so I don't have that ability to compare
two different WB cars at same higher speeds yet.

I would assume that if any of us began to build a Streamliner tomorrow we
would probably start with a long WB and perhaps hit on the right
combination. What has been discussed so far on this list would certainty
help some try and do it right the first time. But a Streamliner or Lakester
has that freedom of design.

Now some classes, like /ALT, /GC etc. can't lengthen the WB. So the builder
has to work within the limitations of the vehicle and class they choose.
What is the best way to make a short (relatively speaking) 90 to 110" WB
stock bodied "brick" go fast and handle to the best of it's ability?

John #79