Wheelbase2

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheelbase2
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:03:27 +0100
Hi John,

you request, why the Firebird with his very short wheelbase was not effect from
the "length". Forget the Firebird, this is a stock body, a door slammer.
Jerry's car got independent suspension and reinforcements from the roller cage
etc. so the chassis is very very strong
For this car is important that the wheels are "straight" and the suspension is
in a alignment. If you increase the wheelbase, it would have the same positive
effect as on a "special" - means homemade frame.
I remember this run very well, I was one of the first guys, who congratulate
Joe
for the record - my car runs with Don (McBride) on the wheels the run before
Joe
- we missed our own record by 0,2 mph.
But it was not so easy for Joe as it looks from the outside, he told us that it
was a real though run, and the car tried to go everwhere.

Maybe it was also the very wet top surface of the salt, which we got this
morning - this wet salt cost us a new record.

That the Firebird runs over 300mph, call it sheer power, in reality the car is
brick in the air.

Hope this explanation helps you, if you need more information, let me know.

By the way, aerodynamic - Larry, DrMayf - can you clearify this air dams.
I think I understood what you mean and I can explain this aerodynamic effect,
but before I like to answer, I like to be sure that we talk from the same.

I remember very well the rooster tail........

At last to Keith Turk, you are a real funny joker with your humor - but let
me say something to your name.
In Germany people will write your name in the spelling

Kiff Tuerk

What means a Turk full with LSD or some other kind of drugs

No wonder where this humor comes from, SMILE.

All the best

Pork Pie