more races, new cars

To: "Landspeed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: more races, new cars
From: "Louise Ann Noeth" <lanoeth@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:08:45 -0800
Multiple message reply:

Rich --  I see you point, I think . . . If you believe the coverage afforded
you and your vehicle meant nothing, then I am confused as to why you
cooperated with the journalists in the first place? Were you damaged, or
insulted by the coverage? If you were promised a copy or publication and never
got a copy, then the
writer and/or photographer are at fault, not the publisher. I even have remind
the staff people to send copies of the stuff they ask me to do and sometimes,
the only way to get a copy of my own work is buy the darn thing.

Why is it that whenever the sport gets a few minutes time on the tube, there
is always a spurt of commentary on this list -- mostly positive and upbeat --
but now it seems TV is a bad thing for the sport.

How many of you folks now racing were influenced by what you read in magazines
or saw on TV programs? How many would NOT be in the sport if they had not been
inspired by print or broadcast media coverage?

Jack -- I don't see improvement as something that always requires more money
and supporting genderless prowess behind the wheel is dear to my own heart. It
is my position that properly educating people about something usually yields
positive results that no one could have predicted.

All --

Glen is absolutely right and has first-hand experience about the subject. He
has also demonstrated himself to be extremely fair-minded and practical
about what it takes to set-up an event.

ECTA is poised to grow in such a way to shepherd the sport forward so that
those who come to it will be encouraged and heartened in a positive way.

On a lighter note, I spent the day at the LA Auto Show Media previews and
thought the new DaimlerChrysler "Crossfire" was a total stunner. I actually
thought its design might be an effective styling exercise for a Bonneville
car, much along the same lines as the Studebakers and F bodies
(Camaro/Firebird) have been.

The new Hummer H2 is a clear winner for the consumer and although I doubt
many of us will buy the new Mercedes SL it was a gas watching Jay Leno intro
the car. The butt ugly award goes to Honda for its new min sport ute. Audi
and Jag debuted a few updated models and there was a great display of
Maseratis spanning 40 plus years.

GM's Bob Lutz was our keynote speaker and his message was "back to basics"
as he thinks, as does his top staff, that too much content and too much
techno junk has found its way onto cars as part of a perverse brinkmanship
marketing game. He appears to have a vision that will invigorate GM, the
question remains if these ideals can invigorate a giant lumbering collective
that has been bruised by tumultuous corporate change over the past three
years. If so, GM will be kicking some major butt in the next couple of
years. Then again, I remember Iacocco giving us an equally inspiring speech
9 years ago.

Be Vigilant,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions