Re: King Enterprises and Flatty foundation necessities

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: King Enterprises and Flatty foundation necessities
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:44:26 EST
In a message dated 1/15/2002 2:00:48 AM Pacific Standard Time, kturk@ala.net
writes:

Keith,
    I make (or hire made) steel main bearing caps and center main block
support girdles for the Flatty. There is a small ad running in the ECTA
newsletter for King Enterprises.
    When the Flatty HP gets above 250 the connecting rods are the first thing
to fail. After the engine owner/builder has "stepped-up" for some heavy rods
at about $1100/set the Flatty weak spot moves to either the center main
bearing support web or the crankshaft. Once the owner/builder has
"stepped-up" to the tune of $2500 for a billet crank and about $700 for the
main caps and support girdle the weak spot moves to the cylinder walls. This
is often a moot point because to get a lot of horsepower out of a Flatty
someone has to do some radical respiratory surgery combined with a blower
such as Splatfire did.
    We filled the lower portions (to about 3" below the decks) of our Flatty
block coolant passages with Pour-Stone cement last year, but won't know how
true the cylinder walls are until we do a teardown. Right now the car is
still in the trailer, covered with November El Mirage dust and motor oil.
                            Ardun Doug King