New guy

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: New guy
From: Elon Ormsby <ormsby1@llnl.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:15:01 -0800
Hello List:

Well, I'm a new guy too. (Sorry for ending that in a preposition but my
proclivity is for driving and wrenching, not writing).  I have been lurking
here since just after the October El Mirage event. I joined the list
looking for the collective "racing wisdom of the ages" and the occasional
"technical golden nugget".  I have NOT  been disappointed.

I don't exactly remember when I  contracted "salt fever' but it may have
been around '56-'59. Yes, my stubble is gray.  Making the trek to Salt
Mecca was a distant dream that I had hoped to eventually fulfill. It only
took 40 years! I made it the summer of '98 by myself and the next year I
took a friend. Since we flew in we were always at a loss for
transportation. I had heard about the "friendly, family" atmosphere and was
not disappointed.  All we had to do was stand out in front of the clubs,
looking forlorn and lost, and a friendly voice would offer a ride out to
the salt. Returning at the end of the day was equally as easy with
wonderful people letting us just jump in the back of a pick-up or take the
empty seat in an extended cab. I  have never been among a closer, nicer,
gathering of people (not even in church). In August of '00 I was walking
from the KOA showers and stopped to admire a massive Ardun (at least it
looked massive taking up most of a pick-up bed). And who stepped out of his
camper to introduce himself, but Doug King.  He adopted me like I was
family (maybe he needed additional crew ) and we have had a wonderful
friendship ever since.  I have helped Doug at additional meets where he (or
his son Brian) have entered the "2" club each time. It is because of this
"hands-on" with Doug and the unselfish sharing of his experience and
knowledge that has brought to the fore a desire to drive my own car on the
salt.

I hope to run an essentially stock Camaro in the new Classic class in May.
I just want to get licensed and get experience this year.  My eventual hope
is to build a car and try for the 200 club. For me personally, the "2" club
is about breaking a record.

Many thanks to Dan Warner for his advise and help in October. I had many
questions in preparing my car for next spring and Dan was an immense
resource. You might say I was a pest.  At times (in the tech impound area)
I could see Dan's time was extremely compromised. I tried to wait for slow
times but it was never slow!  Dan, would always treat my questions with
utmost sincerity and I felt like he was stopping everything just to help
me. . . a perfect stranger!  Thanks, Dan.

I get this list in digest format (thanks Mark) and due to work-load,  I
often find I am about 8-10 digests behind the power curve. At this time in
my life I have to sprint through most of the verbiage looking for the
occasional technical nugget. I think the suggestion to have a social AND
technical list is excellent. Currently, I would subscribe to the latter. I
also notice that since I have subscribed it appears my spam has increased.
Is this coincidental or do the low-life spamers have a way of  stealing
addresses from this list?

I have a lot to learn and a lot of tech questions but since this intro is
already too long I will feed them into the hopper one at a time on future
lists.  I am incredibly impressed by the lack of flaming on this list but
that may be because the contributors actually know what nomex  is and don't
want to suit-up when thumping the key board!
   -Elon Ormsby,  (no relation to Gary)