Jeep Grd. Cherokee with 318 v8 (not land-speed related)

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jeep Grd. Cherokee with 318 v8 (not land-speed related)
From: "Richard J. Hockert, Esq." <rjh.co@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:33:35 -0600
Last year there was a post by a lister who was having hard starting
problems with a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8.  I can't seem to find the thread
so, please, with all the experts on this list help if you can.  I am having
starting problems with my grocery getter Jeep.  Here are the symptoms:

1)  Starts immediately when cold in the morning (summer or winter);
2)  Starts immediately when shut down for a few minutes at the store, mail
box, etc.
3)  Very difficult to start if shut down and wait an hour or two (go to the
shop?).  Engine still slightly warm.
4)  When it finally starts under 3) and I back out through the exhaust
fumes, I can smell gas, like the engine was way rich when trying to start.
5)  Once the engine is running, no problems under any of the above conditions.

I have replaced the idle air motor.  The throttle position sensor is not
sticking in any position.  If it is a temp sensor, would it be water
temp?   Or, computer problem setting the virtual "choke"?   Any one
experienced this and fixed it?

Thanks very, very much for the help.

Best regards
Jim