Re: (tech)sbc overbalance opinion

To: <saltracer@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: (tech)sbc overbalance opinion
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:57:20 -0800
Bob & List,
Overbalancing is somewhat a common practice with NASCAR engine builders, but
only for some specific reasons. It is usually done only for engines that are
expected to rev above 8,000 RPM . Above 8000 RPM valve train and other
engine components tend to develop harmonics which is dampened by the
overbalancing. This actually does nothing to increase HP, only reduce the
harmonics and to it's detriment, overbalancing does increase engine
vibration at lower RPM ranges. Therefore, if you do not expect to run these
RPM ranges, it probably is not a good idea and surely a waste of money. My
T'Bird is slightly overbalanced but I've turned it at 9500 RPM many times
(it likes it)

BTW, I have completed the new build of the "NASCAR Street Engine" for Hot
Rod Magazine. The article is expected to come out sometime within the next
few months. It is a SB2 motor as is run by the Winston Cup teams but with a
street cam, 10:1 compression and a wet sump oil system. It dyno'd at 640 HP,
will run on pump gas and take a family of four from New York to Disneyland
in 8 Hours flat. I'll have it on display at the Motor Show in Daytona next
month. I'll post some pix next month.
Next on the agenda is to convert the fuel system to DFI with a Wilson
Manifold system and put it in a show car I've had in storage. (an 84 Iroc
Camaro that's just a bute)