Baskerville

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Baskerville
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:47:35 -0800
Just spent a couple of hours reading the March issue of HRM. A couple of
articles written by Gray Baskerville are true to his form. It's hard to
accept that the articles are his last ones.

The short story on the 1/2 mile tracks of the 50's and the twin engine cars
really hit home. I ran a rear engine roadster at the Riverside 1/2 mile and
Beat Jack Chrisman. What a fond memory. The twin engine cars were another
reminder of involvement on the salt.

 I was in the SCTA Albata club and Jack Grub was building a chopped 34 coupe
with two flat heads. One blown and one unblown. Mickey Thompson was there
with his twin coupe and got the record at 190 plus.

I got to drive the evil handling coupe with the hardest clutch in the world
to push at that time. Bad linkage was bending. It was pretty good up to
about 140-150 mph then it wanted to wander.

It was still something I am very happy to have had the  chance to
drive.Gray, I thank you and will miss you greatly at the lakes and on the
salt, but I won't forget you.
Glen