High Temp Goop?

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: High Temp Goop?
From: Robert Jepson <robere@xensei.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:49:08 +0000
List,
I've cut up a perfectly good aluminum intercooler in my attempt to stuff
it inside a '27 grill shell, in front of the radiator. The bad news is
the unit is unable to be brazed back together. I think I can
mechanically mount a custom tank to the top end of the thing, but I will
need some kind of high temp sealant to seal around the tubes at the tank
and a tank seam. Red silicone from Loctite/ Permatex can see an
occasional 600 degrees; I seem to recall the turbo charge can be as high
as 850 though. I may be exposing the thing to 30 p.s.i., too, just to
make things interesting....Anybody have any recommendations ?    Bob
Jepson, lurking and working in Boston, home of the WORLD CHAMPION NEW
ENGLAND.PATRIOTS!