ceramic coatings

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: ceramic coatings
From: Finishline Coatings <lona@finishlinecoatings.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:40:34 -0800
Hi Guys...
Like Arden Doug says "no coating will stay on headers that gets blasted
continuously by the salt". The front tires on an open wheel car at 200
MPH plus throw salt back and the car is moving forward into it.  The
force is so great that no "Cermachrome"  (bright & shiny) coating  will
stay on.
Now here is an interesting little wrinkle in the equation....the angle
of how the headers exit the car and how the air flows around them has a
lot to do with how long the coating will remain where the salt hits the
coating. We have and are doing testing in this area and have learned
that something's weren't as we thought. For instance we have found that
the closer the header or pipe is to the front tire, the longer the
coating will stay on.  The further back from the front tire, like the
middle,
or back of the car, the greater the force of the salt.  On Dave Haller's
car, the headers exit right behind the front tires -straight out. There
is about 12" of exposed header right behind the tire and the header gets
covered with salt - but not enough force to blast the coating off.  This
car runs 230 + .
As Wes mentioned, we stand behind our coatings 100%. We think we have
the best coatings and do the best work and have the best warranty of
anyone in the business.  I'm not putting any other coating company down.
I know that Jeff at HPC and all other coating companies feel the same
way about their work and their products..That's the way it should be!!
However, we are one of the few coating companies that have our own cars
that we race and drive to test and do R & D on.  Like HPC, we have
recoated headers and will continue to. That's part of doing business.
I haven't forgotten to explain about engine coatings...just been really
busy 7 days a week, but I'll get  it on the screen soon.
Thanks,
Russ Meeks
Finishline Coatings

P.S. Dale, we will ship your pistons back on Wednesday, the 13th.