RE: What I learned today...

To: "'Nt788@aol.com'" <Nt788@aol.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: What I learned today...
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:48:28 -0700
                Oh, man, that was too funny.  Nearly blew my drink through
my nose!   Thanks for the laugh.

                Dale C.  :-)

                i felt hot rodders were pretty high on the food chain, but
stuff like this is all to common for me.
                henry
                        > Subject:      What I learned today...
                        >
                        > Hi guys,
                        >
                        > Last weekend I spent two days wrestling with my
                        > GT-350 replica, which you may
                        > recall is now running after a one-year period of
                        > dormancy while the motor was
                        > in pieces.  While dealing with some subsequent
                        > problems, I learned some
                        > lessons that can all be directly applied to
working
                        > on our cars.
                        >
                        > *  Upon startup of a new engine, if you hear a
                        > distinctive tic-tic-tic sound
                        > from your header-to-cylinder head junction, you
will
                        > be told by all your
                        > friends that it is an exhaust leak caused by using
                        > the cheap manifold gaskets
                        > which come as part of the entire engine-overhaul
                        > gasket set, and you should
                        > have opted for high-quality $35 Fel-Pro header
                        > gaskets instead.  The only
                        > solution is to remove and replace the lame gasket
                        > with a quality unit.
                        >
                        > *  The header bolts which didn_t allow enough
                        > clearance to get a wrench or
                        > socket on them when you were installing them,
                        > haven_t shrunk any, so removing
                        > the eight bolts will take an hour.
                        >
                        > *  Your hopes of simply backing the header away
from
                        > the head, slipping the
                        > two-week-old, cheap gasket out and installing the
                        > new, $35 gasket will be
                        > dashed when you realize the existing gasket has
                        > adhesed itself firmly to the
                        > head.  It will need to be scraped off.
                        >
                        > *  Immediately after commencing the scraping
                        > activities, you will be struck
                        > with both a revelation and a recollection.  The
                        > revelation is that the
                        > header-to-fenderwell interference won_t allow you
                        > enough clearance to scrape
                        > the entire gasket, so the header will have to
                        > completely come off the car.
                        > The recollection will be that you were smart
enough
                        > to trash the cheap gasket
                        > that came with the engine rebuilder kit, and the
$35
                        > Mr. Gasket like-new
                        > gasket you forgot you had installed, and have now
                        > just destroyed, is of
                        > similar quality to the new $35 Fel-Pro gasket you
                        > bought to replace it.
                        >
                        > *  Spray-on gasket remover is highly effective
                        > stuff, but it is also highly
                        > democratic in its application.  In this instance,
it
                        > will make no
                        > differentiation whatsoever between the like-new
$35
                        > gasket you_re trying to
                        > remove, and the new Ford blue engine paint you_re
                        > not trying to remove-both
                        > will fall away from the motor in equal amounts.
                        >
                        > *  In order to remove the header so you can scrape
                        > the gasket, you will have
                        > to disconnect it from the collector.  The
collector
> [...]

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..