Re: Vance & Hines "Harley" Twin Pro-Stocker

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Vance & Hines "Harley" Twin Pro-Stocker
From: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 22:35:51 -0600
Bill:
The new V & H bike is impressive, to be sure.  Many of the design features
are excellent, as you would expect from Vance & Hines.
But to me what is even more interesting is to consider what has forced V & H
into this radical and costly solution: personnally, I think it is because
they don't have Angelle!  We all know how hard it is to get even a little
edge in Pro Stock (whether you're talking bikes or cars).  Angelle's unique
size has allowed her team to do a couple of small things with chassis and
engine that nobody can quite match without some "breakthrough".
What raises my hackles about this new development is the egregious
"affirmative action" that NHRA is giving a power-disadvantaged brand.  This
"Harley" will be allowed almost 74%(!!!) more displacement than Angelle's
2-valve Suzuki.  That's worse than saying a 2-valve OHC "E-motor" has to
race against pushrod "B-motors"!  All this condescension to convince
hundreds of thousands of  (slow!) American males that they actually have
penises.
That sucks.
And, furthermore, the spirit of the Pro Stock bike class-- to keep costs
reasonable-- has been totally violated here.  What V & H have built is a Top
Fuel bike-- to run on racing gasoline.  Nobody else in the class can spend
this kind of money on their Pro Stock racers.
And that sucks, too.
I hope the SOB falls on its face-- but it probably won't.  Vance & Hines are
the "Penskes" of drag bikes.  They will probably whip everyone next year.
After that, maybe the rules will get fixed, like CART fixed the rules after
Penske's pushrod "Mercedes".
Grumble, grinch, gripe!!!!!

Oh, and I agree with you about interest in practical compression ratios for
LSR bikes-- Joe Amo, Turbo Rick-- somebody "tell us true" here.  What CR can
I expect to get away with on 108 octane at Bonneville in my little gixxer?

Incidently, it was an earlier V&H drag bike (Top Fuel) that was shucking
cranks out of its GS 1100-based engine.  They claimed to be getting 800hp
out of that one, though (on nitro, with a Rootes blower).  But then, they
were only running full-throttle for 6 seconds!  They solved solved that
problem by going to cast-iron cases.

Maybe you have to get up over 600hp before the problem will show up???  Even
in the 2 or 3 minute Bonneville full-throttle???

Russ Mack