RE: Tires, loading & pressure

To: "'Dave Dahlgren'" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Tires, loading & pressure
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:29:48 -0500
Dave,
All good points and I'd like to hear that solution you didn't want to
mention. Very true about the difference of Maxton and B'Ville regarding
car weight. Maxton is a 1 mile drag race on very rough concrete
therefore I would build a light car and wouldn't plan on any ballast.
For me tire hookup for the first 1,500 feet is a problem and ballast
didn't seem to help. I really felt tire selection was more important.
The 12" rain tires I ran at B'Ville seemed to improve my hookup (even
cold).

Dave, & List,
As a point of information, typical downforce on a Winston Cup car going
190 MPH+ at a SuperSpeedway like Daytona would run in the 800 lbs. range
on the front and 500 on the rear. What I don't know is what the curve
looks like as you move above 200 MPH, but my bet is it's not linear. I
know from the tire rub on the front fenders I had a lot more than 800
lbs. at B'Ville going 226, well over 1,000 based on spring rate. I know
I don't need that much but then it's car design. Obviously, these
weights have to be added to the static weight of the car when looking at
tire loading.

Average tire pressure at that track (Daytona) would be 55 lbs. and maybe
45 lbs at an Intermediate track like Charlotte. I ran 45 lbs. at B'Ville
and have had my front tires up to 60 psi. at Maxton. I didn't like the
60 psi ride, John B. can testify to how bumpy the T'Bird gets. BTW,
NASCAR teams run Nitrogen in their tires but I run North Carolina air.

"Do what others Won't and you'll do waht others Can't for the rest of
your life"