RE: Tires

To: rgribble <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Tires
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:44:09 -0700
One thing I have learned in LSR is that there are no
absolutes.  Your rain tires worked well on your car, but would
they have done the job on a roadster? Prollly not, based on
opinions/experience from other racers. When I referred to
treaded tires, I meant FULL tread (like street tires) not
grooved tires. While I don't understand all the physics
involved, I know from experience that they won't as well as a
treadless tire (and Joe did understand what I was trying to
say about treads leaving more exposed areas of rubber)  Look
on the back of my Vette & you will see 7"  Short-track tires
with 3 wide, deep grooves running the circumfrence. I would
have preferred slicks, but Mr. Goodyear doesn't make my
application in a treadless design. I know when I tow to the
line, the grooves pack with salt. Do they clean themselves out
at speed? I don't know, been too busy to look back there & see
if my tires are clean ;-) If the grooves do stay "open" I
would guess  that it would be a factor in directional
stability. BTW Mayf, I haven't seen section width running
through your calculation either. That is prolly because nobody
considers it important, but to me it is an aero issue.....
ed (yeah, I know I am rambling again........)