Re: OFF TOPIC!! ( $$!!)

To: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC!! ( $$!!)
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 10:44:49 -0500
W S Potter wrote:

> There are times when the Canadian multi-colored "play money" is worth more
> than the "boring" green US bills.  I've been on the other side of that
> exchange rate and it hurts.
> How can you take Canadian money seriously when even they refer to coins as
> "Loonies" and "Double Loonies"?

Smaller dollars, bigger gallons, still better beer ;-)
The loonie (1$ coin; just topped .63us) was named first, for the loon pictured
on
the front.
This is the loon that is heard on many Canadian lakes, not the mythical desert
loon that is heard around the campfire in the Conan movie.  I love sound effects
;-)

When they came out with the two-dollar (ok, $1.26 ;-( coin, it ended up as a
'toonie'.  Sort of lame; my favorite would have been to name it after the polar
bear on the back.  The Inuit name for the bear is nanook, so we could have
called
it a 'nookie'.

So if a $1. is a Susan B. Anthony, will your $2. be a Johnny B. Good?  $3.- G.
W.... ;-)
Cheers,
Rick
(back out into the 5cm. of snow)