Re: Wind Tunnel 3

To: landspeedracer <landspeedracer@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Wind Tunnel 3
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:15:36 -0800 (PST)
 True, land speed racers may be amatures with small budgets, but I sure have
seen many incidents in the past where the amatures sure humbled the big money
pros out there on the "Big White Dyno".
Dick J
  landspeedracer <landspeedracer@msn.com> wrote:
List

Although most of us run on the salt at very high speeds most of us know very
little, for a fact, about the aerodynamics of our vehicles. We guess, right?

We're armatures to some (not in my eyes, we're not) without big sponsor
budgets to pay for our passion. I know I don't have big money, but I think I'm
to the point now of wanting to know more so I can improve my vehicles
performance a little more. Which is why I asked about University Tunnels.

I think I'm now willing to devote the time to build some scale models to test
various types of race cars. Liners, Lakesters and Coupes (my primary
interest), but I don't have an affordable facility.

So let me pose another question: If there was an affordable tunnel within the
LSR community would anybody be willing to make use of it? Might have to make a
scale model of your big toy and send it off to Timbuktu UPS or FedEx or fly to
the facility so you can modify and test, but the info would be really
valuable. Most of us are willing to spend umpteen thousand dollars on our
double-throw-down stump puller engines. Just consider that good aero is just
like adding more HP.

JB