Re: Speaking of Salt...response

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speaking of Salt...response
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:43:46 -0800
The last report from Gary Allen was that they had been pumping successfully
about half of the time this year.  By successfully He meant that when the
concentration of salt in the brine was high enough they were running the
pumps.  When the concentration was too low they shut them off until they
could get the specific gravity to the needed point and then start up again.

The two best years, Reilly pumped an annual return of around 1.8 million
tons.  The others have been about half of that

Bottom line is that over the life of the pumping the amount of salt gain is
likely to be about one million tons.  The hoped for five year gain was three
and a quarter million tons.  Unless they either quit taking brine off for
mining or find a way to pump a good percentage for an entire six months it
isn't going to happen.  The 7.5 million ton goal over five years will
probably end up being something less than that over six years, not five.
The Reilly Industries annual harvest is somewhere over 75 million tons so we
would need 1.5 million tons to be the minimum amount restored over five
years to reach the goal.

We need the reclamation of the Bonneville Salt Flats to be part of the lease
for Reilly to continue mining.  We need Reilly to do the reclamation because
no one else can afford to do it.

It's a win-win situation for them because;
1. Their mineral production is up because the increased flow of water
results in a higher concentration of potash and other wanted minerals in
their production and
2. It is great PR for them when they need a good face as a result of other
super-fund cleanup projects they are responsible for in other places.  Check
their web site and see how they brag about the restoration project there.

We need thirteen miles of hard salt to race on again.

We just want the salt back, any way we can get it.

Wes