Stupid Mistakes

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Stupid Mistakes
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:24:50 -0800 (PST)
A while back we had a string going on the most stupid things we'd ever done.  I
have to add to the list, and I think my name might be right on top now!
This is so basic and so stupid, but sometimes you can overlook even the most
simple things!  Two years ago, I bought a new carburetor and brought it to
Maxton with me.  I wasn't sure how the old one would hold up, but I wanted to
give it a try before I replaced it. It was the first time I had run this car,
this motor, and this carburetor.  Sure enough, about half way down the
track,the old carb choked up bad.  I rolled into the pits, pulled it off, and
bolted the new one in it's place.  Man, what a difference.  I ran the car for
the rest of that meet, and again last year, quite pleased with it's
performance.  This winter, in order to properly feed my new porting job, I got
an even bigger version of the new carb and put it on this weekend.  When I went
to put the linkage on, it just seemed like something wasn't right.  Hmmmm.  I
had my daughter sit in the car and floor it.  While she held her foot on the
floor (motor not running) I leaned over and checked the butterflies.  Hmmm, I
gently slid the throttle linkage off and opened the throttle the rest of the
way. Curious, I slipped the old carb back in place.  Yep, the rod was too long
and for two years I was running a little less than  9/10 throttle.  I wonder
how it will do this year!
Do I win the dumbest thing ever done award?
Dick J