Race gas revisited

To: "LSR list \(E-mail\)" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Race gas revisited
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:22:41 -0500
To one and all:  I apologise if any of you took offense at my questions
about race fuel.  I absolutely did not intend to impugn the integrity of
anyone or any organisation.

Nonetheless, my questions were based on experience at the Salt for World of
Speed and Speedweek in 2001 -- my first-time trips to the Salt Flats.  I
used the ERC fuel while there.  My drained tank was presented to the guy at
the ERC truck, who inspected it and then filled my tank with the fuel of my
choice and sealed it according to the established procedures. No big hu-huu
there.

I raced at Maxton in 2001, also, and understand the lack of event-specific
fuel there (last year) and also understand the idea of having a fuel vendor
there in future races.  No hassle from me there, either.

However, a number of ambiguities were presented to me by various and sundry
folks at the races, and I had hoped that asking a specific and well-defined
question would resolve them.  Among those questions:  It was implied that a
non-event-specific fuel might be accepted if a sample were to be drawn and
tested and found to be acceptable.  That implication was presented to me in
such a manner that I was led to believe that testing of
other-than-event-specific fuel WAS available on a routine basis, so that
said non-event-specific could be used.  I was not informed that this was
erroneous information: that's why I asked for clarification of the
situation.

I also admit to some altruistic intentions:  that is, maybe others would be
interested in seeing discussion of the topic.

To my comments about "cheating":  Well, folks, I guess that I used a
"hot-button" word while trying to phrase a question.  I chose my verbiage
with some forethought, hoping that by laying bare my situation I would
preclude any negative reaction from those who read my comments.  Sure, I
know that I could run prune juice or whatever the heck I choose if I run in
a fuel class.  I also admit some ignorance -- I'm new enough to this stuff
that I take advice from any who care to offer it, including the guy that
tunes my motor.  He and I were not absolutely clear on the fuel question,
and therefore I asked for this information from the list.  I did read the
were acceptably phrased.

To Mr. Tone:  Sir, do you find pleasure in using coarse language and
insulting remarks to respond to others, or is it just me?  And no, by the
way, my "best friend" is not an attorney, nor is my attorney my best friend.
We are well-acquainted, though.

Regards,

            Jon E. Wennerberg
    Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
           #436 M/PS/G 1340 CC
2001: 200.471 mph - 2002 GOAL: 220.554++mph
        Marquette, Michigan 49855
          (That's Way Up North)