RE: Chevy Front Wheel Ball-Bearings

To: "'ardunbill@webtv.net'" <ardunbill@webtv.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Chevy Front Wheel Ball-Bearings
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:24:42 -0600
My old 250- series Ferrari ('62- '63) used ball front wheel bearings, too.
There was a big double- row ball bearing on the inside and a smaller double-
row ball bearing on the outside. The bearings were assembled with the proper
ball/race clearances at the factory, so there were no worries about preload
or clearances. Front wheels were mounted on the spindle and the axle nut was
torqued to spec and a cotter pin was inserted-- that's it.

Tapered roller bearings (first patented by Timken?) relieved car
manufacturers of having to hold extremely close tolerances in their spindles
and they were far cheaper to produce. Balls do have lower drag but less
load- carrying ability for a given size.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ