Chevy Front Wheel Ball-Bearings

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Chevy Front Wheel Ball-Bearings
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:25:52 -0500 (EST)
Hi folks, the mention of the above reminded me of when I worked at a gas
station around '60 and the Chevys would come in with ball-type front
wheel bearings.

I was always curious why Chevy made millions of them like that(and we
saw a lot of them bad at the station) when you have a more or less
line-contact situation taking the beating and battering, which is also
dependent on the adjustment.  Far as I know this practice disappeared
long ago in favor of the taper rollers that most other makers used in
this application.  And don't tell me, I know the back axles always had
"balls".  But now with IRS I imagine they are all taper rollers too.

I remember that a "hot tip" for racers many years ago was to replace
their taper-roller Ford wheel bearings with the Chevy style, for less
drag on a race car.

Anybody on this list know the "natural history" of Chevy ball wheel
bearings?  Ardun Bill