record average

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: record average
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 05:23:53 -0800
What I have never understood is that if you make a return run over the record
and
faster than the qualifing run why it isn't a qualifier..
example
record is 190
qualifiing run 195
return run 205
average 200
return run is 5 mph over the record???
*************************************

Records are the result of two consecutive runs. Once a vehicle has qualified
the first half of the record has been completed. The second(next) run is the
speed which is averaged with the qualifing run for the record. You cannot use
the second half of a record attempt as the first half of another attempt.

Once a vehicle has qualified and is going for the record it is removed from
qualifing until the record attempt has been completed, either successfully or
not.

If  David Coultard sets a race lap faster than the pole speed does the former
pole speed become null and David gets the championship point and the pole
sitter from Saturday lose their championship point? I think not. Same theory.
How about Ricky Rudd sitting on the pole at the Brickyard 400, rainout - no
more qualifiers that day. Qualifing resumes, Mark Martin goes quicker - is he
now the pole sitter? No way.

Dan W

Dan W