Re: History and the Rules

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: History and the Rules
From: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:42:32 -0700
Keith and List; I thought I would jump in here as though I know something. I
want to start with a given that all of the board members are people of
intelligence and decades of experience with lakes racing. Also they give
generously of their time so that the trials can go on with some order. We
thank them.                                                 We also know
that there is some reason for the rules that have been questioned here. What
we don't know about some of the rules is the reason they were adopted
Using my B/Alt Vega as an example, I understand it would be a "Classic"
category car and as such I may not have two distributors, EFI (unless OEM)
or data a recording device. If I have any of these things my car is not
legal for "Classic" but it's not legal for "Unclassic" Alt unless it has EFI
The reasoning here is a little hard to understand. I would think that
explaining the logic to the members would go a long way toward soothing hurt
feelings. I like twin distributors and make my own from Pick-ur-Part pieces
for around $100. If the purpose was to restrict Brad Armstrong twin plug
heads why not make that the rule?          I can't understand why XF and XO
may run data recorders and not "Classic" cars. But I'm sure there is a good
reason if someone would just explain it.
The reason I can't run my Vega in the class it has run for the last 22 years
escapes me entirely. But again I know there was a reason for all of these
things and I, and many on this list, just haven't figured it out.
Would it be possible for someone who speaks for the board to explain the
rules under question, and calm some of the ruffled feathers?   Rich Fox