Trailer/To inject or not to inject...

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trailer/To inject or not to inject...
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:20:23 -0500
Bill I think I messed up and didn't delete the trailer on the end of that
message.  So I'm going to copy my reply here....

At Maxton I'm right there with you.... WOT or Off.... but the salt just
doesn't have the same traction level.... it can't always take the Torque
... especially when you push that little red button.....   I defined it as
Special.... I think Dave called it " An Event "

Fun Stuff.... here is what I sent.....

------
A Race day Non Stock EFI is going to start at around. 5k and work up to
your personal limit.... there are even guys like Dave... who specialize in
mapping the fuel flow exactly for load and rpm.... and they can be
pricey... and the Dyno bill can be steep....( I need to thank Dave... as
he's doing ours as part of the team )

What you really get is the ability to absolutely control the Fuel/air
ratio... and Nothing else even comes close to doing this.  Not Mechanical
injection, or a Carburetor.... no matter how many circuits.... Until you
can measure and quantify the O2/ water temp/ boost/ so on and so forth and
do it .... many times a second... there is no way you can truly measure and
deliver the correct amount of fuel to the engine....  So everything other
then EFI is just getting Close...

Gary... Your Statement about Wide Open Throttle was interesting to me.... I
found with the Data Acq that I spent Very little time actually at WOT last
year.... 70-80% was the average for the first 2 miles.   What that means is
I was having to drive the car.... ( now here's a concept )..

What Dave just discovered on the Dyno was that the Carb I'm running doesn't
like that with the heads that I have.... they just don't have the port
velocity to flow air fast enough to pick up the Main Jets in part throttle
conditions... consequently the motor had a tendency to run Lean in that
range.... ( got the Pistons to prove it.. ) With EFI this isn't an
issue.... you program it.. map it and the system does the rest.....  I'd
have still had to drive an ill handling race car... but the motor would
have survived until we had the handling fixed....

Now if that isn't a Lesson for you.... I don't know what is....

Next Big Step for me is EFI.... it's simply not an option this year.. and
we now know the motor MUCH better and it's characteristics so we can plan
around that for now.

Just figured I oughta share some expensive lessons

Keith