RE: To inject or not to inject...

To: "'landspeedracer'" <landspeedracer@msn.com>,
Subject: RE: To inject or not to inject...
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:49:35 -0500
The airflow defection of "butterfly" throttle plates as they open & close is
hard to deal with and flat "slider" throttle plates have been used in a
nimber of FI racing engines to overcome that problem.

I've also read quite a few reports of accidents/DNFs caused by slide
throttle plates being jammed open by dirt or gravel tossed up by tires. The
area required to slide the plate sideways looks like it would limit the
design of the intake, too.

What I've always wondered about is why someone hasn't tried a variable-
orifice throttle plate. If you look at how a camera iris works, you can see
the principal. It seeme to me that this method of throttle control would
overcome the others' drawbacks. Cost & complexity is another question.

Has anyone heard of this being tried?

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ