Lightning Strike! - Water not Land.

To: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Lightning Strike! - Water not Land.
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:08:40 -0400
Glen and List
The boat called Lightning Strike! is a three point hydroplane (outrigged
sponsons at the front) with two inboard DC electric motors and a 'Ton' of
batteries and a single prop.   Well it seems like it, but it may not be a
Ton with the modern gel lead acid type.  Cockpit is towards the rear of the
centre hull.  The one off design has been produced by team member Phil
Evans.  We have a rear U hydro style wing to give lift and help with
planing.
The design speed is in excess of 100mph but the UIM inboard record is 52mph
and the APBA best is 72mph (outboard).  Once we get testing we are aiming
first for 75mph then if the craft holds up we will go onto 100.  Tests will
start in the summer (if we have one here in Britain).
The hull is mostly marine ply but we have some carbon strengthening cross
beams and a carbon fibre seat.  Weight is the main problem - we need as
little as possible.  At 200lbs I may not get to drive it at speed.  We also
need calm water - very smooth.
Our main rival is Cloud Electric (the APBA quickest) but they are waiting
until October to run again with more power in a new hull.
Once we have her painted I expect images will be circulated around the
world.  Team colors are purple and white.
Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.
There have been some details and a picture of the model shown on
www.ybw.com/ibinews/newsdesk/20020107122540ibinews.html