Hard Starting Answers

To: autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hard Starting Answers
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 20:42:05 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everybody for all the help.  I followed everybody's answers, although
not all at the same time, and not necessarily in the order received.  I changed
back to the old carburetor.  No luck. Compression checks out good.  I pulled
number 2 plug to check for spark (grounding the plug on the header).  No spark.
 I checked number 1 again, spark.  I re-checked all the wires.  I then pulled
all the plugs and checked them, one by one, by grounding them.  Five fired,
three did not!  I re-checked the spark plug wires.  No luck.  I ran into town
and got new plugs.  I checked them BEFORE putting them in.  Four fired, four
did not.  I re-checked wires.  I figured my new coil might be bad, so I put the
old super Accel back on.  Still, only some plugs fired.  But now only three.
Hmmmm.  This must be a weak spark., I replaced the coil wire.  No better.  I
tried the plugs on different leads. If I moved them to different spark plug
wires, they still fired, but other plugs would not fire where these had fired
before.  It was the plugs, not the leads.  I figure it must be the magnetic
hi-tech part of the distributor that's in the place where points are SUPPOSED
TO BE.  I have no way of seeing or checking that part. I HATE HI-TECH! It's
acting a lot like a points distributor when the gap is way to wide.  I called
Jeg's and boxed the distributor back up for return.  I ordered a dual point
Mallory - something I understand.  Now, when that one gets here on Monday, I
can see and trace everything from the battery to the plug electrode!  :I'll let
you know how chapter 2 goes around the middle of next week.

Dick J