Re: Variable Orifice Throttle Plates / Slide Injector Throttle

To: dseely@sginet.com (Dave Seely), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Variable Orifice Throttle Plates / Slide Injector Throttle
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:11:31 -0400 (EDT)
Very interesting, you and the whole rest of the world loved that good
ol' Norton Manx. I owned a somewhat decrepit but original '61 350 Manx
for years, never got around to getting it running, sold it to a friend
who restored it for AHRMA racing, and thanks to him I did get one happy
day to try it out about 100 mph on an airport.  One of those peak
experiences we all hope for.

You reinforce the point about racing engine vibrations upsetting
carburetor float chambers and of course one of the main points of
mechanical fuel injection is that it HAS no float chambers so you get a
strong, consistent fuel delivery, precisely metered and easily
adjustable.  On the other hand, MFI is not as successful in
part-throttle conditions since the fuel delivery is probably just a
straight line up a graph.  Various add-ons are provided by MFI makers
for the basic system, to try to cater for this.  Bill