RE: Number of Classes

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Number of Classes
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:29:34 -0400
Dick,

For motorcycles:

I tried once, but ran into immediate problems.  It looks easy, Frame class
times engine class times engine size.  But there are exceptions.  For
example, Frame class P allows only engine classes P, PP, and PS and only to
a maximum displacement of 2000cc.  So far no problem.  But, look at frame
class S, which indicates ALL engine classes and all displacements.  This
would seem to indicate that you could have, for example 1000-S-P  (1000cc,
streamliner, production engine) but apparently this combination is not
allowed (though I cannot find a specific rule to exclude it).  A vehicle of
such type would (I guess) run as 1000-S-'G' (G= modified gasoline engine)
What if you are running an unmodified production gas engine?   So
apparently, not ALL engine classes are permitted in all frame classes.

Where do you find out what's in, and what's not?

Not a complaint.  Just an issue for clarification.  And an interesting one
at that!  Is it tradition, an intended limitation, that no one has done it
before?  I think the answer would be quite interesting!

Thanks,
Jim.