FW: Number of Classes

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Number of Classes
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:40:06 -0400
Rick,

Ah!  I see your point.  It would indeed be difficult to determine if an
engine was box stock.  I also appreciate the clarification that P engines
must be the same as P frames.  Makes sense to me.

Checking through the motorcycle records however, I find that there are only
motorcycle streamliner records for 6 engine classes, gas, fuel, blown gas,
blown fuel, push-rod gas, and push-rod fuel.  This leaves 8 non-production
engine classes for which I see no listed record in a streamliner frame at
any displacement.  Taking as an example, PBG (push-rod supercharged gas), is
this somehow prohibited, or is it just the case that no one has ever shown
up with this combination?

(Well, it actually leaves 11 engine classes, but I haven't the faintest idea
how you might determine displacement of a Steam, Turbine, or Electric
motorcycle streamliner.  ?000-S-[Omega symbol] ?  Just S-Omega?  Same weight
classes for electric as cars?)

I see Dale Martin and Tom Evans listed as Rules/Rulebook. Would they or
anyone else care to jump in?

Sorry for the awkward questions.

Thanks,
Jim.

"Waldron, James" wrote:

> Dick,
>
> For motorcycles:
>
> I tried once, but ran into immediate problems.  It looks easy, Frame class
> times engine class times engine size.  But there are exceptions.  For
> example, Frame class P allows only engine classes P, PP, and PS and only
> a maximum displacement of 2000cc.  So far no problem.  But, look at frame
> class S, which indicates ALL engine classes and all displacements.  This
> would seem to indicate that you could have, for example 1000-S-P  (1000cc,
> streamliner, production engine) but apparently this combination is not
> allowed (though I cannot find a specific rule to exclude it).

Hi James,
On that; I think the point is, it would be a whole other rat's nest to chase
the
authentication of a 'production' engine in an otherwise custom package.
As it says; 'Production engines must be the same model as the model of the
frame
being used..'  That isn't possible with a custom frame.
I see the production class not so much as a motor class as one for the total
'package' as sold to the public.  In that case it is easier to confirm/prove
that
something is stock, vs somebody saying; well, this was stock on the '98
Thundercrotch, but not the '99 Seppuku...
An analogy would be a car streamliner class just for 'crate' engines.

In defense (if it needs it) of the setup, there are a lot of classes, but
there
is a big difference between a pair of bikes with perhaps a 100-150cc
displacement
difference, as well as the difference between pushrod/OHC.  They didn't even
split it up 2-stroke/4-stroke!  Then, as in the cars, you have different
degrees
of streamlining, actually pretty simple.
Have fun,
Rick