Re: nitrous and pistons

To: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: nitrous and pistons
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:19:21 -0400
Scott Cowle wrote:

>    Well now that my engine is fully disassembled I can tell you that 7 of 8
> pistons are beautiful scrap, #8 having suffered the worst meltdown but all
> the other 6 were on their way too.All eight spark plugs had the side
> electrode burned clean off. So in about a couple of seconds of stupidity on
> my part as a driver I have cost myself a lot.But my question is why. If the
> nitrous system is jetted properly, and it was-NOS specs, why would
> activating it with the throttle closed cause such tremendous heat in such a
> short time? To recount , I hit it in second gear, spun the wheels hard and
> released the throttle before the button-brain fade!
> Scott

Hi Scott,
Just an un-educated guess, but the nitrous is an oxygen source, so having the
throttle off limits the fuel flow, but the nitrous carries on, making a really
lean mixture?  Aside from that, could the pure nature of the oxygen actually
help
really 'burn' the electrodes? (being the source of the spark it might be like
hitting the O2 on a cutting torch)
I'm sure others will know.
Good luck,
Rick