Fwd: Re: nitrous and pistons

To: autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fwd: Re: nitrous and pistons
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 05:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
  Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com> wrote: Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 05:52:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick J
Subject: Re: nitrous and pistons
To: Scott Cowle , land-speed@autox.team.net

MY GUESS.  With the throttle closed, you have very little fuel flow.  With the
nitrous activated, you have very high oxygen content.  It's just like setting
the acetylene torch with too much oxygen and too little fuel.  You have a
cutting flame.
Dick J
  Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu> wrote: Well now that my engine is
fully disassembled I can tell you that 7 of 8
pistons are beautiful scrap, #8 having suffered the worst meltdown but all
the other 6 were on their way too.All eight spark plugs had the side
electrode burned clean off. So in about a couple of seconds of stupidity on
my part as a driver I have cost myself a lot.But my question is why. If the
nitrous system is jetted properly, and it was-NOS specs, why would
activating it with the throttle closed cause such tremendous heat in such a
short time? To recount , I hit it in second gear, spun the wheels hard and
released the throttle before the button-brain fade!
Scott
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience