Money and racing

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Money and racing
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:28:55 -0500
Man the ever dreaded topic of money and racing.... whew...it's something we
all avoid talking about... but dang it... it's expensive to race a car...
let alone competitively... I want to share some thoughts I've had thou and
let you all semi soak up some of my lessons of the last few years...

First off I started with a Very meager budget... I set it up so the car was
funded out of discretionary income... and for the most part I tried to
stick to it... then the Racing bug hit... and money became a NON issue in
comparison to setting a record and getting all the hats....   What a huge
mistake...  It took all the fun out of it... when you break a motor that
isn't replaceable your heart sinks and your stomach turns and you realize
you spent to much on it in the first place.... Tom Bryant was right couple
of years ago.... Getting to serious takes all the fun out of it....

For this year I've dedicated myself to getting back to why I'm here... and
that is to enjoy the hobby and the friends I've made along the way.... we
have enough to go racing... and with Dave's help and Brads.... we have a
competitive car.... ( No Class... but what the hey... you can only expect
so many things from an imperfect life )  We aren't going to exceed the
budget... and That should help with the pressures of Speedweek..... Keep in
mind Setting a record at Bonneville... MIGHT JUST BE FUN.....

Going fast on a sunny day is great.... but leaving Alabama without the
possibility of being competitive wouldn't be any fun either....

I guess what I'm saying.... is that all of us have to stay within our own
comfort zone financially to enjoy the sport.... one day I'd like to do more
and more to the engines myself.... right now that isn't one of the area's
that I'm choosing to focus on.... but I know as I reach middle age....
Learning is more important then anything else in my life.... it's where the
Real fun is to me..... and staying within a given budget has really helped
me focus on the FUN aspect of the sport.

Keith ( why yes I'm clueless.... but at least I know where all the game
pieces are )