Bonneville - El Mirage

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville - El Mirage
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 06:36:22 -0700
Yes, that's what my original plan was, but unfortunately, my car has wandered
a little too far from street legal. I can no longer get a Texas safety sticker
on it because of the modifications.  Really incredible things like the
inspector won't pass a five point harness "'cause it's not OEM".  He also felt
that the cage "might be a safety hazard in trying to get out of the car in an
emergency".  Trying to explain anything to him was rapidly becoming like
arguing with an IRS auditor.  I knew I was not going to win.
***************************************

Dick,

Remember that safety requirements are a MINIMUM. I'm not too sure about the
USFRA 150 club but, I know someone can respond with more details regarding the
requirements to run.

Putting a speed restriction on a vehicle that does not comply with full class
requirements has not worked well in the past. Seems that the lure, the need
for, or just the thrill blanks out a driver's best intensions when running at
the salt. The rules are there for your safety and are the results of
experience. You do have the option of petitioning the tech people prior to the
meet for a waiver from the requirements and a suggested speed limit. I would
not wait too long to do this as there is a 45 day prior to the meet limit for
rules deviation requests.

Dan Warner