Re: Ain't I privledged

To: Paul Bland <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ain't I privledged
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:01:39 -0400
Hi Paul
The first reply to your query was extremely accurate and precise.  Not much
can be added, except that in construction phase we can design for salt
exclusion, and of course make every panel removable for hand washing
polishing etc etc.  My original plan was to have the chassis "E coated", and
as things are so delayed I may still do so, but have run out of money so at
the point that paint must be done, I may have to handle this myself.  Every
tube has a 1/8" hole drilled at the junction to the next tube, so that no
internal pressure will build up in welding.  This in fact ends up venting
the interior of the whole chassis to atmosphere making it possible to coat
the inside as well.  It will take a long time in the tank, and for drain,
but should provide 100% coverage.  I am using stainless fasteners wherever
possible (non structural), and using loctite on all fasteners (including
stainless) to protect the threads. (it works)  I am packaging the
electronics in a compartment that is essentially sealed from normal exposure
to salt, but still is provided with fresh air to avoid overheating.  I have
been trying to coat all items exposed to salt, with HPC coatings, but again
that will be done piece meal to accommodate budget.  Meanwhile good
catalyzed paint will have to do.  The magnesium castings (trans and axle)
are being painted after glass beading with a good automotive coating.  If I
had an unlimited budget, all fittings would also be stainless, but the cost
is about 5X that of normal Aeroquip/Earls/XRP anodized aluminum fittings.
I think the greatest benefit to the car I am building is the fact that every
aluminum panel is easily and quickly removable.  A plug here for Roy Fjastad
and his Dzus button with hex drive rather than slotted.  They are
"wonderful"  I'll bet I have 300 of them in this car.  It sure makes
assembly and disassembly easy without concerns of hurting the panel.  The
easier it is to do, the more inclined we will be to do so.  The other thing
to consider is how to handle all the panels that are removed.  The wind on
the salt can and will blow light weight panels around, so fixtures inside
the trailer that each panel removed may be secured is recommended.  This
also makes it impossible for someone to run into or step on them.
(important issue when thrashing).
Do keep us posted on construction.

Rick

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Front quarter view at Mel Swains shop.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
header rear quarter view.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Side
view of car on Dolly with partial skin.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Tail
left.jpg]

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Front axles detail.jpg]