Re: Flathead MSD ignition

To: RYNDBOYS@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flathead MSD ignition
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:36:04 -0400 (EDT)
Bill & Josh, you get great results at Maxton with that 20 degrees lead
in your gas Flathead.  What Ardun Doug said is right too, various
Flathead racers have told me they use 22-28.  Some lore from back in the
'50s I have here stated firmly that 21 was max on a racing
Flathead(nitro, they meant), otherwise, you'd see your rods dangling out
of the bottom very soon.

A very experienced Flathead streetrod man of my acquaintance uses a
Harman & Collins mag set at a fixed 18 degrees(the H & C has no
advancer, as you know) and he says it will start without kickback, idle
okay, and run with full power, all at that one setting.

I haven't ever raced a Flathead myself, but I imagine setting the MSD at
5 degrees would give easy starting, and letting it advance quickly to
whatever full advance figure is preferred, from the info that's been
given, would give good results.  What seems clear from both early and
present knowledge is that Flatheads just don't like much ignition lead,
and if you give it to them anyway, they will go into detonation and
break something.  Bill