RE: Spring-Clip Link on Motorcycle Chain

To: "'ardunbill@webtv.net'" <ardunbill@webtv.net>, bigsid@webtv.net,
Subject: RE: Spring-Clip Link on Motorcycle Chain
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:24:47 -0700
Bill, what I've done since the '60's is loop a length of safety wire over
the side plate and clip and twist it off.  I've never lost a clip, even when
racing in the dirt.  A lot easier than the rivet setup, give it a try.

Dale C.

                Subject:        Spring-Clip Link on Motorcycle Chain

                Hi Folks, wanted to report a cautionary note about
Spring-Clip Links on bike chains.  After returning home from my usual ride
on the 250 Ninja, I happened to glance at the rear chain and lo-and-behold,
the little spring clip on the Connecting Link was gone.  This is a 520
Tsubaki Omega O-ring chain, which is the finest and longest wearing I've
found.  The Connecting Link was the one they send in the new chain package,
the spring clip very carefully fitted and definitely correctly in place.
The chain has 3700 miles on it and only been adjusted once.  The sideplate
of the Link, which is a light press fit in assembly, is firmly in place, so
no harm was done.  But in time, without the spring clip, it might have come
off, which would be BAD.
                I KNOW, Kawasaki says to take the rear fork off and replace
your chain with the endless OEM chain.  Not likely, for me anyway.
                I KNOW, the Rivet Type Connecting Link is available, and
offered by Tsubaki along with the chain, and in the past I have used this,
but it is more trouble to assemble, so this time I figured, what the heck,
this is just road use, I'm gonna use the spring clip Link.
                THE LESSON is, I guess I'll have to forget the Spring Clip
Type Connecting Link, and just use the Rivet Type from now on.
                It's hard for us old greybeard bikers to accept the need for
this, since back in the '50s and '60s we ran our 1000cc Vincents and
everything else with Renold chains with OEM spring-clip connecting links,
and never a problem.  The Vincent factory shipped all their road bikes out
that way, and nobody had a problem.  Of course the chains wore out in maybe
5000 miles.  And it was the standard lore in those days that a serious
racing bike needed a rivet-type connecting link.
                Ardun Bill

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..