The East Texas Scene

To: landspeedracer <landspeedracer@msn.com>, wmtsmith@landracing.com,
Subject: The East Texas Scene
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:11:16 -0700 (PDT)
 Just in case anybody cares.  After letting my sixteen-year-old daughter drive
my car last month at Maxton (and she set a record - slow - but none-the-less, a
record) she is consumed with LSR and told me she wants to buy the Camaro (at $5
per week).  I can't very well turn down a deal like that now, can I.  So I
guess the next time you see the car, it will have the lettering: "Dirver -
Monica J - From East Texas" where it used to say "Driver - Dick J".  She said
she'll still let me drive it though, just as long as I don't go after any of
HER records.  Ah kids, ain't life great!!!
With no race car of my own, I have speeded up work on my 1955 Chrysler.  I am
building a pseudo-replica of a 1955 Chrysler Daytona stock car, although it
will be powered by a blown 354 cid hemi rather than a dual four barrel 331
hemi.  I hope to have it ready for a trial run at Maxton next fall (when it
gets cool). Joe Timney has already bent up a cage for me, and we have finished
gutting the interior and cutting holes through the floor to begin mounting of
the cage.
I've also traded off my replica Shelby Cobra 427 roadster body for a 1933
Willys coupe body.  I'm going to chop and channel it over a 100" wheelbase
frame, stick a (what else) hemi in it, and eventually run it as an Altered at
Maxton and hopefully, Bonneville.  This is the kind of car I have always
wanted, so it is my dream come true.
And yes, Doug, I still have the 1923 Dodge roadster out back, and it will
eventually move under it's own power.  Well, not exactly it's own. It'll either
have the 241 Dodge hemi or the flathead, but I do still plan on making a
"driver" out of it.
I had a big scare last week, but the doctor gave me a clean bill of health
(well, almost clean) yesterday, and told me I could go on acting like my old,
immature, juvenile delinquent, self. (Never grow up!)   I have decided to
"fully" retire within the next six to ten months  so I can enjoy these three
pensions that I have worked all my life to earn, so I will really be able to
get to work on these toys then.  My final six months of paychecks are going
into a cookie jar to pay for a drive to Alaska (via Bonneville) and parts for
these toys!  (BTW, Wes Potter or somebody,  when I make that trip, can you line
me up with somewhere in Utah to leave the racecar while I'm in Alaska? Gonna
wanna have it ready to drive at WOS when I come back through.)
So, that's what's happening in East Texas.
Dick J