Speed Week day 1

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speed Week day 1
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 21:21:26 -0700
Just returned from the salt.  Kind of a strange day.  They had a drivers
meeting at 11:00 and then everyone drove the course.  They really didn't
start running until after 1:00.  The course seems to be very hard.  Some
cars had wheelspin and left black marks going away from the start.  Jon will
probably give better information on the speeds since he was more concerned
today with who was going how fast.  I do know Willie Glass was in record
impound but I didn't check to see what other cars were there.

Sunny day with temperatures probably in the low 90"s.  It seemed muggy to me
for some reason.  Sunscreen was a necessity.

Jon Wennenberg was doing driver interviews for Ron Christensen on the Salt
Flats radio.  Got some great interviews, some interesting (and some more
embarrassing) comments from various racers.  A real addition for Radio 1610.
Ron had his brother David helping him on the platform and Glen's voice came
over the CB radio with the times from the timing trailer.  He was probably
the most comfortable guy out there.

Keith got through inspection and was classified as a comp coupe after some
discussion about the belly pan.  (Tom Bryant was there when they were
inspecting him and told the inspectors that he was really illegal on many
points so they needed to go over the car carefully.)  John Beckett was
trying to convince everyone that his Barbie pink Corvette was really
Raspberry???  Joe Timney was just standing back and not commenting.  Seemed
a bit embarrassed to be associated with the car, at least that color of car.
Dad Land had a real adventure getting to the salt ... lost a transmission,
broke an axle, burned out a wheel bearing and you really need to hear the
story from him because the sequence of events and his solutions make for a
great story.  The last time I saw the Amo boys they were dealing with a TV
cameraman and sound man.  Guess Keith isn't the only media darling out
there.  The Hunt's were putting out their sun shade when I left them but
Terry had installed the air dam on the front of the car.

I left at 6:00 and they were still running ... Al Teague was probably the
last in line on the long course.  They closed the pit exit for racers at
5:00 and were just running the cars that were in line at the start.  Record
return runs (two-way) will be at 7:30 in the morning.

I am guessing that about eight trailers I saw on I-80 between Exit 4 and the
90 mile point were headed for the salt,  Mark Lingua was headed out on the
access road  as I was leaving.  The pits were HUGE and not crowded but it
looks like there will be many more spaces filled by Monday.

I'm planning on going out for the Salt Talks tomorrow evening.  Los of
trailers, motorhomes, tents and hot rods at the bend in the road.  I hope
everyone has a good time just visiting.  It's nice being 120 miles from the
end of the access road with 75 MPH freeway in between.

Wes