We are back home

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: We are back home
From: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:05:47 -0400
    List

    Had a great time this year on my annual Salt pilgrimage. Took out a new
Corvette (with lot's of bugs as it turns out) that we got finished at the last
(very last) minute. But I guess the bugs are to be expected on a new car. We
have it back in the shop as of today and will proceed to check it out and see
why it wouldn't handle over 160. In the mean time our soft 186 record got
bumped to 208. So now we will have to work a little harder to get the record
next year. I knew 200+ was realistic for the class and Randle proved me right.
And I now have six chances to sort it out at Maxton.
    Nobody said racing at Bonneville was easy. Ooops, except for Don McMeekin,
who has been to Bonneville twice, has set three records, and the last one got
him his red hat. Don is extremely well prepared and it shows in his
performance.
    Oh, and Tom Bryant got two more of his family in the 2 Club, while
breaking one of my old cars records. Tom said I had it long enough and it was
his turn. Hmmm, do ya think I can get a new car built by next season and get
the record back???? This is fun, and I have at least one family member I need
to get in the Club Too.
    Counted about 24 cars and bikes from the ECTA, probably more. Wasted
Willie was unbelievable. Last year the XXF/GR record was 135 and the XXF/FR
record was 164. Willie has now bumped them just a little to 184.6 & 190.5
respectively. Going out on a limb here, but Willie has perhaps the badest
Ardun on the planet.
    And Clem Robert's U/DT was simply impressive. I have never seen a turbo
blow up the way Clem can do it. When he gets it all straightened out this
thing is gonna own the record. 300 MPH? Maybe.

John Beckett
  1197 D/GT
   79 D/GCC