Re: An odd / Tech problems..

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: Re: An odd / Tech problems..
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 01:11:01 -0500
Yeah Mayf.... Ole Tom come by and was giving me a hard time.... I of course
loved it.... to have him bother messing with me is always a hoot!!!  course
you would think that after racing as long as he has he would have an idea
about his basic tool supply requirements....   Margrette ( sp ) mentioned a
requirement for a re-supply of Duct tape... Tom thought he had enough....
she knew better.... So I replenished it... fun stuff....  how many guys go
racing at Tom's level without 15 rolls of tape?

The Actual mess in the tech line was this...  the cheif tech guy didn't
beleive I had a belly pan in the car because he could look behind the engine
and see the ground.... when I told him to pop his head under the back of the
car... well his exact words were... he didn't have to look ... he knew I had
a Step Pan..... when I mentioned that a step pan stops 10"'s forward of the
rear end and my BELLY pan went all the way to the back.... ( covering 65% of
the undercarrige ).  all he had to do was LOOK... he again mentioned that he
didn't have to look... he knew it was a Step pan.... Okay so now he's hard
headed and NOT going to look or read the rule book.... when Dan Warner
finally asked what years qualified for COMP COUPE... he said 28 and up....
so we asked if 1980 was past 28.... and he finally agreed... BUT this isn't
the first time I've had issues with this fella.... sure he has a clue about
Roadsters... I suppose... BUT  you have to treat folks with dignity and
respect ( I did and didn't loose my temper... almost... but not quite )  He
on the other hand felt the rules should read as he interpeted them.....
Well.... I'm sitting in Alabama.... I can't read minds.... I set the car up
by the rule book and took lots of pains to do it.... it cost me a MONTH of
my time and an untold amount of money....  Dan was just a JOY and without
him this fella would have had me running Time only... NOT much of a deal....

I love the idea of the Classic catagory... I hope they continue it and
finally figure out that BONNEVILLE isn't El Mirage... and that most of the
folks who run the salt don't run El mirage for points.... they need to sort
out the difference... and design the classic catagory for success in the
future.... I have some very specific ideas of how to do that and will submit
them to the rules committee in the appropreate manner.... in the mean
time.....  Dan Warner is the kind of guy we are talking about when we talk
about the QUALITY of running a Volunteer organization.... thank you once
again Dan.... Your the Man!!!!

Keith