RE: Metal Wheels Ruts-gouges & chips

To: "W S Potter" <wester6935@attbi.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Metal Wheels Ruts-gouges & chips
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:30:31 -0500
Wes:
I saw those ruts from the hi-horse rubber-tired vehicles on last year's
(softer, I think) course, also.  There were quite a few of them, and some
were more than a couple inches deep.  However, Bill Smith and I drove slowly
over all four courses after this year's SpeedWeek, looking for interesting
signs.  And we got out and walked quite a bit of the (west-most) Long
Course.  Although we saw many "chugholes" and lots of black tire streaks, I
don't remember any rut or indentation from a rubber-tired vehicle extending
more than a foot or so (and that was near places that had apparently been
repaired with softer salt).  Near the starting lines may have been the
exception, but I wasn't taking notes there, and I don't really remember if
there were significant ruts there.
Russ