FW: turbo-tornado Denver

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: turbo-tornado Denver
From: "Dana Goulston" <dana@goulston.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:34:26 -0700
Hi John,

All good questions re. the turbocharged ZX6.

To answer the magical 200 question, (I had the same questions 6 months
back). 1st figure out how many ponies you need to go 200 on the salt with a
faired or fairly slippery bike.

Once you have that number, you can conculate or approximate the HP output of
your bike with turbo, fuels, etc.

My rough guess is about 150-165 RWHP on an MPS or APS bike of about
400-650cc.

Next step is to correctly size the turbo. I'm going with a Garrett GT-15,
(Suz. GS-500) found on Audi A4 and some Vauxhall's (sp). This step is very
crucial! You need to match the peak torque curve of your scoot with the peak
of the turbo. If you don't, the turbo will be doing it's thing while your
RPMs are too low, or past the "power band" and spinning.

You also MUST HAVE an intercooler. Otherwise you won't be able to dissipate
the heat generated by the high boost you will need to go 200. I estimate
you'll need to run at least 18-25 PSI of boost.

While you're at it, I would suggest you switch to EFI to eliminate dicking
around with carbs (does the ZX-6 have EFI ???). I'm going with a DIY EFI kit
found on-line for $110. Then you don't have to deal with extremes of heat,
altitude, and humidity. You can laptop 'em all via the free S/W.

I think it might be do-able, but it's going to be pretty hairy at best. 180
for sure. There are some guys who have been doing this for a few years. Tap
into them and compare their boost, speeds, HP, and weight.

As a consolation, there are gobs of soft classes for turbo-scoots below 750
cc.

Better get going ... lots of engineering and fabricating to do. Lemme know
if you need some more $.02. Find a dyno too.

Good luck!

Dana
#789b