Bob Higbee

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bob Higbee
From: "Mick Lanigan" <bikermick@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:15:00 -0700
Just as surely as a bright star ascends the horizon so too does it set . . .

I'm sure most that were at this year's speedweek noticed the his absence on
the starting line.  As was his place for decades, Bob Higbee could no longer
withstand the grueling sunrise to sunset duties.  I watched him as he watched
the cars go off down the black line and wandered backwards over his career
of service to land speed racing.

The lives he saved.

The cars he saved.

The jangled nerves he calmed and wee bit of luck he transferred as he
tightened tens of thousands of safety harnesses.

On one wall hangs a Bill Taylor shot of Bob doing what Bob did best; he was
leaning over telling the driver of a long, midnight blue streamliner that
his dream of a lifetime had just come true.  The driver is straining against
the tightness of the roll cage and upper frame rails, intent on hearing
Higbee. The anticipation on his face is overwhelming.  It is 1991 and Al
Teague has just shown the world what he was made of.  It is one of my
favorite moments in land speed racing history.

It is also just one of hundreds of stories that involve Bob Higbee.  I would
like to hear more.

I am embarking on writing an extensive monograph on the life and times of
land speed racing's most celebrated volunteer.  I would like him to be able
to read it, so I need to get started right away and I need your help.  His
wife Dottie has already given me some stunning shots of Bob as a young man,
wait until you see this motorcycle he rode!  His daughter Joyce is helping by
compiling a list of folks that I must interview, Jim Miller is also helping
put this together, but we need you too.

If Bob Higbee has made difference in your time on the salt or the dirt,
please tell the story -- by email preferably, but by phone, or any other
method that makes you feel comfortable.

If you know of someone who may not be hooked up to the internet, please
print out a copy of this request and give them a copy.  It is ultimately up
to each one of you to give back just a token of what he has selflessly given
the sport for more than a half century. The more people that respond the
richer the Bob Higbee story will be.

I realize list members prefer to concern themselves with technical topics, I
would ask that you please respond to me directly. The finished piece will
see several publishings (not the least of which will be in my next book) in
several areas and that means photos will be needed as well. As photo lent
will be scanned with professional equipment and returned to the owner within
a short period of time. Any photo used will carry the requested credit line.

Please take the time to be part of this journey with me. Bob Higbee is so
worth any time you might give.

Thanking you in advance,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth