Re: Building to the Regs

To: "Malcolm Pittwood" <MPittwood@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: Building to the Regs
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:48:57 -0700
Malcolm,
after a career in testing and designing stuff, take it from me...testing is
the most expensive way to deterine the properties of anything. I would say
that finding someone commected with a design firm that uses SAP or NASTRAN
structural design packages would be the best. The metal properties, or even
composite properties, can be input, with all the joint fixities and various
loads placed in different places to determine stress and strains. Then you
modify and keep "testing" you design using the software until sufficient
margins of safety are reached.  This kind of design code has been used for a
very long time in such organizations as our NASA and Department of Defense
and it is generally pretty accurate. But, lots of places have this, such as
building designers, bridge designers, airplane designers, universities. A
little searching should lead you to someone who can help at a very nominal
fee...or none at all if a university...

mayf, the red necked ignorant desert rat in Pahrump...