Re: Race Car Stability and Safety

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Race Car Stability and Safety
From: <gfp61@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 16:55:52 -0400
"Don't turn the round thing in front of you when you go down the course."

Yep, that's probably the best advice that anyone driving a high-speed car on a
straightaway could get. When I raced in Super Gas at roughly 150 mph (and I'm
sure LSR people on this board have experienced this), any "steering"
adjustments literally consisted of applying just a little bit of extra
pressure on the wheel with the heel of either hand.

And this car, too, wanted to do nothing more than go straight. I remember
getting a little loose at the top end at Cecil County Dragway in Maryland, and
instead of trying to do any kind of correcting, I simply--and almost
literally--let go of the wheel for a second or so (I was basically just
touching the wheel with the fabric of the gloves), and the car straightened
itself out. It's very similar, I think, to the extremely counterintuitive move
that aerobatic pilots will make when they're hopelessly spinning out of
control--if they have the balls and the poise, they'll just let go of the
controls completely, and the plane will right itself.

Gary