RE: Braggin

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Braggin
From: Drylakercr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:55:49 EDT
Cool story!

I would have to say that my Dad broke down and even got talked into making
his street rod into a land speed racer when the I turned 16 and wanted to
race! But hey--I'd have to say that I think that my dad has had more fun with
that '39 Chevy than I have.

If you don't know the story, we didn't have a car to race back in 1986 when I
was finally old enough to drive due to my parents divorce. Let's just say
that money was tight and the racing budget was smaller that it had been in
many years. My dad had custody of us girls and we had that coupe and a '56
Chevy pick-up. Well, the '56 was our main form of transportation so we
couldn't turn it into a race car, so it would have to be the '39. And most of
you know the rest of the story--it ran until this last May at El Mirage and
it will run again someday--it's too fun to leave at home. However, that new
ride is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun! I guess I finally talked about
wanting to go faster than 155 mph long enough that my dad got us into a
slicker ride. Last year he bought our modified roadster from Glenn Miller.
Boy, what dads can get talked into when it involves land speed racing!

Take care all and I hope to see some of you at WOS in a couple weeks! I'll
have our latest little racer with us (by then she'll be a pro with 2 trips to
the salt and only being 3 months old), perhaps when she is 16 she can talk
Grandpa into building her a cool little racer.

Katie Young Cortez
http://homepage.mac.com/lafamiliacortez (check it out for pictures of both
rides)