MS front wheels

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: MS front wheels
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:41:22 -0700
Some of the latest streamliners are using a 'staggered' front wheel
arrangement which can give a very narrow 'track'.  Examples I can recall
include Flatfire and Nebulous Theorem.

Could such an arrangement be translated onto a narrow nosed Competition
Coupe?  Has it been done before any way?  Do the front wheels then have to
be the same size?
*******************************

As an addition to jack's answer to this question, the wheelbase for said Mod
Sports car, 130" max.,
would be measured from the c/l of the rear axle to the c/l of the most forward
spindle. The wheels are not required to be of the same size, but must be in
contact with the ground at all times. This means no retraction mechanisim(sp)
to pull one wheel off the ground. I can see where a smaller trailing wheel
would be useful to gain clearance, but you need to consider the steering
geometry required when using this configuration.

I'm not too good at this aero stuff but I don't envision a signifigant gain in
breaking the air given the class restrictions by trying to use an inline front
wheel setup.

Dan Warner